This orzo pasta salad with roasted chickpeas makes the perfect side dish or a main dish. It is vegetarian friendly and makes great meal option for leftovers for lunch.
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 16 oz orzo pasta, cooked according to package
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 5–6 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- For the roasted chickpeas: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.;In a medium bowl add the garbanzo beans, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Toss the ingredients together and spread out onto the baking sheet. Bake the chickpeas in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping half way through.
- For the orzo pasta salad: As soon as the orzo is done cooking, drain the water and add to a large serving bowl. While the orzo is still hot add the spinach and basil to the bowl and toss. This will help wilt the leaves a bit. Add the mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and roasted chickpeas to the bowl and stir.
- In a small bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, & pepper. Whisk the ingredients together and pour over the pasta salad. Give the mixture one final stir to combine all of the ingredients together. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish, Lunch
Keywords: dinner recipe, side dish, orzo pasta salad, roasted chickpeas, crispy chickpeas, lunch, mozzarella, italian, greek, easy, weeknight, 30 minute meals