These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are perfect for meatless Monday or as a vegetarian friendly dinner.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cans of rotel (diced green chili peppers & tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking heat olive oil in a medium sized pan to medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add the rotel, black beans, chili power, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the pan. Let the mixture simmer for 6-8 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done let them cool out of the oven for 10 minutes. Once they are cooled a bit cut each potato in half.
- Spoon the mixture into each sweet potato and then sprinkle cheese and cilantro over the top. Enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, vegetarian, vegan friendly, meatless monday, dinner ideas, easy