Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Looking for the perfect vegetarian-friendly recipe?
Then look no further and try these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! These sweet potatoes are stuffed with black beans, red peppers, tomatoes, green chili peppers, and red onion. To give this recipe some festive flavors I added chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.
Benefits to Eating More Meatless Meals
- Budget-friendly – bean and tofu are less expensive alternatives to meat.
- Increased fiber – if you have not guessed from my other posts by now I’m kind of obsessed with fiber.
- Check out the rest of my full list of benefits here along with another vegetarian-friendly recipe.
How to Incorporate More Vegetarian-Friendly Meals Into Your Diet
- If you are new to vegetarian eating just start with one meal or one day such as Meatless Monday.
- Try a local vegan or vegetarian-friendly restaurant.
- Don’t be afraid to try cooking new cuisines! Many different cultures around the world eat more plant-based meals. Try searching online for vegetarian Thai, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, or Middle Eastern recipes.
- Get creative with protein sources. Some examples include lentils, chickpeas, black beans, tofu, quinoa, seitan, eggs, nuts, and seeds.
These Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are perfect for meatless Monday or as a vegetarian friendly dinner.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cans of rotel (diced green chili peppers & tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking heat olive oil in a medium sized pan to medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add the rotel, black beans, chili power, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the pan. Let the mixture simmer for 6-8 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done let them cool out of the oven for 10 minutes. Once they are cooled a bit cut each potato in half.
- Spoon the mixture into each sweet potato and then sprinkle cheese and cilantro over the top. Enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, vegetarian, vegan friendly, meatless monday, dinner ideas, easy
Let me know if you try these Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes in the comments section below!
Also, don’t forget to save this recipe by pinning it to your Pinterest board!