Intuitive Eating Books to Read
Intuitive Eating and Anti-diet Books
The following books will help you through your disordered eating or eating disorder recovery journey. Reading books from this list not only helps me serve my clients better but were also fundamental to my own disordered eating recovery. Here is a list of just some of the books I recommend in no particular order.
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach 4th Edition by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. This is pretty much the Intuitive Eater’s version of the bible…just kidding…okay maybe not. This book is written by the duo dietitian founders of the intuitive eating movement. This is definitely an informational book and provides you with plenty of practical tips for each prinicple. You can find the book here on amazon. As well as other books Evelyn and/or Elyse have written such as The Intuitive Eating Workbook, The Intuitive Eating Workbook for Teens, The Intuitive Eating Journal, The Intuitive Eating Car Deck, and 365 Days of Intuitive Eating Daily Practices.
2. F*ck It Diet by Caroline Dooner: This book has been recommended not only by me but so many of my clients. Many clients resonate with Caroline’s story and language. This is not inherently an IE book but really gives a great perspective on breaking up with diet culture and finding food freedom.
3. Nourish: How to Heal Your Relationship with Food, Body, and Self by Heidi Schauster.
4.Intuitive Eating Guide to Recovery by Meme Inge.
5. Healthy Eating For Life by Cara Harbstreet. A fantastic workbook by a fellow RD that helps you go through the journey of redefining what health and eating for health means to you from an anti-diet perspective.
6. Gentle Nutrition: A Non-Diet Approach to Healthy Eating by Rachael Hartley. Do not skip on this book! The recipes included are diet-culture language-free and absolutely delicious. Two of my favorite recipes from the book are the Blueberry Ginger Smoothie and Chicken Hummus Bowl. They’re so good!
7.Unapologetic Eating by Alissa Rumsey.
Other Anti-Diet Books I Recommend.
8. Anti-Diet by Christy Harrison. Are you interested in where diet culture came from and how it affects every aspect of our lives? Check this one out.
10. Feel Deal Heal Affirmations Card Deck by Tiffany Roe. Okay, this isn’t a book but super practical and handy for everyday life and improving your relationship with yourself, your body, and food.
Self-Help Intuitive Eating
While self-help books can be great reads, provide insight, be budget-friendly, and jumpstart your anti-diet journey. They also don’t provide the complete amount of support you may need. If you notice you understand the concepts but have a hard time applying them to real life, then reach out to a registered dietitian that can help you with this process. If you’re looking for nutrition therapy or coaching please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via my request an appointment page here.