Chili Lime Chicken Bowls
Chili Lime Chicken Bowls
In the summer I love to come up with recipes that involve grilling. One of my favorite meats to grill has to be chicken, so I came up with these grilled chili lime chicken bowls. These bowls are easy to make and use simple ingredients such as sweet corn, quinoa, greens, black beans, and avocado. The chipotle lime dressing is used as a marinade for the chicken and dressing for the bowl. It really elevates the bowl with some smokey and tangy flavors. This recipe is meal prep friendly, which makes it perfect to take to work for lunches or have as another dinner during the week.
I typically have Ethan, my boyfriend, grill the chicken while I assemble the bowls. This helps cut down on time. You can also bake or pan fry the chicken if you don’t have access to a grill. If you have some spare time instead of using canned corn you can grill an ear or two of corn.
How to Make a Homemade Chipotle Lime Dressing
My secret to this flavorful chicken is my chipotle lime dressing. It’s super easy to make. I let the chicken marinate in it for an hour before grilling so the flavors can set in. Here’s how you can make it:
- Collect the ingredients for the recipe. You will need olive oil, lime juice, canned chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chopped cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl.
- If you want a smoother and creamier dressing I recommend using an immersion blender to help puree the minced chipotle peppers.
These chili lime chicken bowls paired with a tangy and smokey chipotle lime dressing are a delicious complete meal for dinner. They can also be prepped ahead for lunches for the week.
4 chicken breasts
Chipotle Lime Dressing/Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
2 limes, juiced
1–2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
1 tbsp adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle peppers)
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin ;1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
For the bowls:
1 avocado, sliced
2 ears of sweet corn (or canned corn)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion, diced ;1 cup of uncooked quinoa (or rice)
1/2 cup of crumbled cotija cheese (or a Mexican shredded blend)
4 cups mixed greens
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. For a smoother consistency use an immersion blender to blend up the ingredients.
- Pour half of the dressing into a medium-size bowl. Place the chicken in the bowl to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. ;;Once the chicken has marinated cook it over medium-high on the grill for 6-8 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Off to the side of the chicken place the corn on the grill. Rotate each ear of corn until each side has some char marks and is crispy. Once the corn is done let it cool for 5-10 minutes and then cut the corn off the cobb.
- Cook the quinoa or rice according to the package instructions. Once the quinoa is done begin to assemble the bowls with the mixed greens, black beans, quinoa, tomatoes, charred corn, and onion. Top with cotija cheese and a drizzle of the chipotle lime dressing.
Keywords: dinner recipe, Chili Lime Chicken Bowls, meal prep recipes, meal planning recipes, chicken dinner recipes
Try out some of my other favorite dinner recipes on the blog:
Let me know in the comment section below if you try this recipe!
Also, don’t forget to save this Chili Lime Chicken Bowl recipe to your Pinterest board!