These beef stuffed cabbage enchiladas are perfect for a family dinner.
- 1 head of Cabbage
- Enchilada Sauce or store bought:
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp flour (corn starch, potato starch, arrowroot flour) **
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth ;1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne (optional)
Ground Beef Filling:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1lb Lean ground beef
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 can of Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 jalapeños, seeded & sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cabbage: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the whole head of cabbage in the pot and boil for 3-5 minutes with the lid on. Once the cabbage has wilted drain the water and let the cabbage cool for a few minutes. After the cabbage has cooled enough to handle pull the leaves from the head gently, ensuring the leaves do not tear or break.
- Beef filling: Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add the ground beef and cook until just browned for about 6-8 minutes. Add in the green chilis, black beans, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cheese. Give the mixture a stir and let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place to the side.
- Enchilada sauce homemade: Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and all of the spices. Stir until the mixture begins to look browned. Add the tomato sauce, broth, and vinegar. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Assembly: Spread the leaves out on a clean surface and add some beef filling to each leaf. Fold the edges in and place folded side down in a large baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the stuffed cabbage. Top with cheese, jalapeños, avocado, and cilantro. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
To make this recipe gluten free friendly I recommend using corn starch, potato starch, or arrowroot flour.
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: cabbage enchiladas, gluten free friendly, beef, mexican inspired, dinner, comfort food, keto